December 4, 2008

Sticky keys.. Sticky keys...

Oh no.. Its not a variation of Phoebe's Smelly Cat! It is the feature which comes to my rescue when I encounter weird behavior with Windows.
I know, i know.. I can already hear all you linux geeks sneering away to glory!

What is the weird behavior you ask? Well, sometimes when I have many Firefox tabs open (>15) for a long time (through multiple hibernations), the keyboard starts acting up. I click on some links, and instead of opening it in a new tab, it starts downloading them! Typing 'b' behaves like ctrl/alt+b.
Happens sometimes with Notepad too. ctrl+c, ctrl+v does not work.

I did discover an awesome solution though! Press the 'Shift' key more than 5 times and you get the Sticky-keys window like this:




Clicking 'Cancel' makes the keyboard normal again!!! :-D And it works every time!!!

My work makes me take loads of snapshots as it involves a 3rd party GUI. Guess it shows huh?!?!

6 comments:

Samparka said...

weiredo windows ... war wins with linux :-P ....

How come a tech entry from you :-)

vinu said...

@sudks: yeah, published it to save other frustrated souls from reloading/rebooting their applications/systems :-D
and no.. don't pull me into linux vs windows discussion :-)

Sandhya said...

:) First tech post ! cool!

vinu said...

@sandhya: :-) yeah!

Anonymous said...

Will... You are now doing QA work for Microsoft too...well good that you are getting familiarized with it :)

vinu said...

@sundeep: unofficial QA! and its better if i get familiarized with it :-) saves a lot of time and effort when working with XP.