November 30, 2011

Lessons


Today, when I looked up google.com, I saw that there was a doodle. A fence, 2 boys, 1 painting it and the other eating an apple! I suddenly remembered the English lesson we had in primary - Tom Sawyer! Its amazing how some images are created in your mind when reading something. It stays with you for a long time, hidden in the deep corners of the mind. Then, suddenly, you see something similar and kazaam! the image just pops right out. Yes, the doodle was Google's tribute to Mark Twain. It indeed was the scene from Adventures of Tom Sawyer where he is asked to paint the fence and Tom, as smart as ever, gets all his friends to paint it instead! I still remember the lesson vividly.

I do remember most of our English lessons (as we used to call it back then :)). From Medusa to King Lear to the giant who hated trespassers! From BlackHat to Black Beauty. From the friends who made a pact to meet after 20 yrs to the couple who bought everything through installments!

And the poems! Such lovely ones. If only we didn't have to 'study' them. I loved them anyway. From Lead kindly light to Under the greenwood tree (My friend and I used to compose music for the poems and sing it out, so I still remember so many lines!) I loved all of Tennyson's poems, esp. Home they brought her warrior dead! Makes me sad each time I read it.
Sometimes I have this urge to actually go looking for English textbooks! Do we actually get these in stores anymore?

Btw what are your favorite lessons from language classes in school? Care to share?

P.S: More about the doodle here: www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/30/google-marks-mark-twain-birthday.


5 comments:

Krishna said...

"From the friends who made a pact to meet after 20 yrs to the couple who bought everything through installments!"

I remember these "lessons" too !
As for the couple story, wasn't it titled, "The never never nest" ?
Ah, this post makes me so much to want to start reading those "lessons" again :D

Josh said...

How can anybody re-read a lesson or a poem eh? I so so detested this idea! Given a chance, I would 'burn after reading' each of those pages.Guess it is akin to watching HAHK and DDLG a dozen times each ;)

But yes, Home they brought her warrior dead and After Twenty years were my personal favorites :)

vinu said...

@krishna: yeah, i think it was the never never nest. :) i think its time we flag random school kids and demand to see their textbooks.! :-D

@josh: u were busy solving math problems right. ;-) 'after twenty years'..I did not remember the title!

Krishna said...

Vinu:
Gooooooood idea ! Will catch hold of some unsuspecting kiddo :p

Josh:
Go, solve some chip design problem :-|

Unknown said...

I remember "Stone Soup"...I can still taste it ;-)