January 24, 2017

The fallen gate

Dusk was setting in. The gate of a nearby park had fallen and everyone had to enter the park trampling on the fallen gate. A guy, an elderly couple and I were the only people walking in the park. 

I noticed that 4 workers had started to fix the gate. They lifted it up, tried to hold it steady and were figuring out how to put it in place. 

After a few more rounds, I wanted to go home. I stopped near the workers, asked them (in Kannada, translated here): "Will this take more time?" No response. The workers refused to acknowledge my presence.
The elderly couple, who were right behind me, stopped, and the lady asked the workers "Can we go from here?" Again, a stoic silence. A pause, and then the elderly man, calls out authoritatively - "Aye! Can we go from here?" Pat came the reply ' No Sir!'.  

I continued walking and exited the park out of the other gate. 

No comments: