May 25, 2018

That time of the year again

It is that time of the year again! New 'fresh' books, buying binding sheets and labels, dusting bags and boxes to see if it is reusable and so on..

You guessed it right. School starts soon and I can't tell who's more excited - my son or I?!

Every year, I take up the responsibility of binding and labelling the school books. Measuring and cutting the sheets, carefully covering the books, cello-taping the flaps - so therapeutic! It is also nostalgic. I look into the pensieve scattered with my childhood memories, observing my parents bind my books, to assisting them and then covering the books on my own. The visit to the friendly neighborhood stationery store, gaping at the laminated binding sheets (damn, they were costly!!), settling on the normal brown paper, having a lot of fun choosing what labels to pick - the cartoon ones, the plain ones, the car ones, so many choices to make!

I always loved this chore and needless to say, I was so excited to repeat the cycle with my child!
This year, I let him observe for a while, and also got him to choose and peel the labels out (slyly added Dora stickers too - to make sure he doesn't get into the boys/girls arguments in school, he is still unsure about it though, let's see how that pans out).

Starting of the school year also means an end to the vacation - not only his but mine as well. Will have to sharpen my skills, make plans and be ready to make the journey as easy and fun as possible.
Here's to a great new year - full of exciting possibilities, new learnings, happiness and disappointments, and everything in between! 


No comments: